Project of the Year Award- Deadline September 30, 2019
This award is given to a project that applied innovative methods and techniques to solve a transportation problem/issue for the overall betterment of the community. The project should clearly demonstrate the use of effective and trend setting solutions that reflect in-depth knowledge in the field of transportation.
- The competition is limited to agencies/consultants and projects located within the WDCSITE geographic area: Washington DC, Maryland, Northern Virginia – Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, and Prince William County
- Project should be able to highlight substantial involvement of at least one WDCSITE member
- Project may be of any type (study, design, or construction) or magnitude
- Substantial portion of the project must have been completed before August 15th of the year of submission for this award’s consideration
- The committee will accept submission of projects that are work-in-progress. However, should your project be selected for the award, the same project cannot be submitted again for consideration the next two (2) years
CRITERIA FOR JUDGEMENT:
Projects submitted for this award will be judged on the following criteria:
- Use of sound engineering principles with application of innovative solutions and ideas
- Social, environmental, and significance of the project to the relevant community/area
- Project complexity and net benefit of the project
- Technical value to the transportation engineering profession
- Dollar value of the project will not be considered in judging
- The submittal shall consist of a project description of no more than two pages that outlines its benefits (including graphics/pictures)
- Include the name of the agency/firm, project location and information necessary to judge the project based on the stated criteria
- Up to two additional pages of drawings/graphics will be accepted as an appendix (if necessary)
- Applicants are also encouraged to submit a technical paper about their project for presentation at the annual meeting
Please reach out to Vivek Hariharan for any questions.
WDCSITE Scholarship Program
Washington DC Section Institute of Transportation Engineers (WDCSITE) has been serving the Transportation Engineers and Planners in DC metro region for many years. We have brought professional together in various events to exchange ideas and create synergy within the field. In addition, we have shown our commitment to the student community by making all of our events/meetings free to students to encourage interaction between the student community and transportation professionals. WDCSITE has also organized events such as resume workshop, career counselling etc., at various university campus to engage the students.
Starting this year, we are taking our commitment to students to the next level by presenting an annual student scholarship. This scholarship is aimed to recognize students for their hard work while encouraging them to fulfill their course work Transportation Engineering/Planning and pursue a career in the field of transportation. This scholarship in intended to appreciate and provide financial support to students who have demonstrated extraordinary interest in the transportation field. The scholarship will be provided to two undergraduate or graduate students in the amount of $500 each.
Please click the following links to see the application and all of the details.
WDCSITE Awards Program
The Section initiated an awards program in 1983 to recognize outstanding contributions of local professionals to the community, the profession, and the Section. The qualifications for the various awards are described below and past recipients listed.
Morris J. Rothenberg Past President’s Award
Candidates should be:
- a Section member in good standing,
- a past or currently active member of Section committees,
- an officer or former officer of ITE at the Section, District, or International level, and
- one who has demonstrated continuing interest in Section activities.
Amy Polk Young Engineer of the Year Award
Candidates should be:
- less than 35 years of age,
- a current member of the Section in good standing, and
- a Section officer or active committee member.
- have been a Section member in good standing for at least ten years,
- be an active or past member of Section committees,
- have a history of regular attendance at Section meetings,
- participate in Section activities other than formal committees or elected offices, and
- be otherwise unrecognized for his or her contributions to the Section.
Transportation Service Award
This award is intended to honor those members of the Section who have made outstanding contributions to the profession. Candidates must:
- be a current active member in good standing,
- have made a significant contribution to the transportation or traffic engineering profession through active service over a ten-year period with a public agency, private company, or college/university in the Section area, or
- have made a significant contribution to the transportation or traffic profession through a single unusual or outstanding act to advance the traffic, transportation, or educational programs within the Section area.
Community Transportation Award
The purpose of this award is to recognize those who have made outstanding contributions to transportation systems in the area. Nominees:
- may be either a member or non-member of ITE,
- must have made a significant contribution to transportation in the Section area through long term work with a public agency or private company involved in traffic operations, or
- must have made a significant contribution to transportation in the Section area through a single unusual or outstanding act.
|Year||Past Presidents||Young Engineer||Appreciation||Transportation Service||Community Transportation||Student Scholarship|
|2019||Seth Young||David Duarte||Emil Wolanin||Bob Garbacz||Kanti Srikanth/Steve Kuciemba||Yeming Hao/Aref Darzi|
|2018||Alek Pochowski||Burak Cesme||Katherine Falk||Abi Lerner||Ron Milone||N/A|
|2017||John Rectanus||Vivek Hariharan||Dan Goldfarb||Kris Jagarapu||Graham Young||N/A|
|2016||Krishna C. Patnam||Alek Pochowski||Thomas J. Hannan||James D. Schroll||Paul J. Wiedefeld||N/A|
|2015||Jerry Baxter||Seth Young||David Kline||Randy Dittberner||Bob Marbourg||N/A|
|2014||Brandon Nevers||Krishna Patnam||Owen Curtis||Stephen Weber||Diane Schwarzman||N/A|
|2013||Dan Goldfarb||Selman Altun||Lewis Grimm||Kevin Newton||James R. Sebastian||N/A|
|2012||Josh Smith||John Rectanus||Hugh McGee||Thomas Hicks||Dennis Leach||N/A|
|2011||Tim Ryan||Dante Perez-Bravo||Phil Shapiro||Richard Hawthorne||Mike Niederhauser||N/A|
|2010||Abi Lerner/Roxane Mukai||Ybette M. Ochoa||Douglas E. Noble||William McGuirk||Thomas P. Biesiadny||N/A|
|2009||Paul Silberman||Gerard Baxter||Roxane Y. Mukai||John Halkias||Morteza Tadayon/ Nick Nicholson||N/A|
|2008||Emil Wolanin||----||Tim Ryan||Richard Retting||Michael Dresser||N/A|
|2007||Stephanie Yanovitz||Jawad Paracha||Rob Prunty||Terry Bellamy||Edgar Gonzalez||N/A|
|2006||Bala Akundi||Brandon Nevers||Abi Lerner||Robert D. Douglass||George Branyan||N/A|
|2005||Ed Papazian||Josh Smith||Matt Allen||John Mason||Phil Tarnoff||N/A|
|2004||Daniel K. Hardy||Paul Silberman||Barbara J. Hoage||John W. Erdman||Ernest Hucaby||N/A|
|2003||Jeffrey F. Paniati||Matthew J. Allen||Matthew T. Storck||Eric P. Tabacek||Woodrow Hood III||N/A|
|2002||Katherine W. Falk||Amy Ellen Polk||Michael Kinney||R. F. Kirby/M. Miller||Barbara W. Beckett||N/A|
|2001||Maureen T. Decker||Stephanie Yanovitz||Patricia Timbrook||Ronald C. Welke||Bill Bronrott||N/A|
|2000||Norine M. Walker||Bala Akundi||Ziad A. Sabra||Scott Wainwright||George Frangos||N/A|
|1999||James D. Schroll||Gregory L. Giering||Joerg “Nu” Rosenbohm||Patrick T. DeCorla-Souza||Ron Shaffer||N/A|
|1998||Carlton C. Robinson||Roxane Y. Mukai||Steven E. Weber||Milton H. Heywood||Joseph Cutro||N/A|
|1997||Everett C. Carter||Katherine W. Falk||Jeffrey P. Arch||Hugh W. McGee||C. E. Walter||N/A|
|1996||Gary W. Euler||Daniel K. Hardy||Lynda Donaldson||Gene S. Donaldson||Gary Burch||N/A|
|1995||W. E. Baumgaertner||Paul A. Pisano||James W. Holls||Robert E. Spicher||Mammen Daniel||N/A|
|1994||Thomas J. Hannon||Daniel S. Walsh||Daniel G. Morgan||R. Clarke Bennett||Jack Kinstlinger||N/A|
|1993||Morris J. Rothenberg||Shawn Sabanayagam||Charles C. Liu||Marshall Jacks||Ronald Kirby||N/A|
|1992||Hugh W. McGee||Norine M. Walker||Edward Y. Papazian||Stephen A. Petersen||Neil J. Pedersen||N/A|
|1991||John C. Allen||James W. Holls||Richard A. Cunard||Thomas W. Brahms||Thomas Hicks||N/A|
|1990||Ronald C. Welke||Jeffrey E. Randall||John A. Boling||Mark R. Norman||Robert McGarry||N/A|
|1989||Scott Wainwright||Jeffrey F. Paniati||Gary Minutes||Carlton C. Robinson||Walt Starling||N/A|
|1988||John Erdman||Jeff Lindley||Ken Opiela||David Witheford||George Schoener||N/A|
|1987||Hugo "Bud" Liem||Gary W. Euler||---||Woodrow W. Rankin||Hal Kassoff||N/A|
|1986||R. Clarke Bennett||Timothy A. Ryan||Gerald C. Wendt||Morris J. Rothenberg||Jim Conway||N/A|
|1985||Eugene J. Clifford||Davey Warren||Seward Cross/Otto Stegeer||Howie Bissell/Jack Kay||Dick Kahl||N/A|
|1984||James Foley||Kevin Hooper||Manu Shah/Nate Avin||Everett Carter||---||N/A|
|1983||Anthony J. Kanz||Thomas J. Hannan, Jr.||James Schroll||Bill Davis||Tom Downs||N/A|
Submission Deadline: September 16, 2019.