2020 Annual Virginia and Washington DC Joint SimCap Meeting Recap
As a kickoff to the WDCSITE 2020 campaign, the 5th annual joint SimCap meeting at TRB was well attended by private/public sector professionals, software developers and academia. The night started off with VASITE and WDCSITE update, a short plug on SimCap, followed by a series of presentations from FHWA, VDOT, consultants, and Verizon.
The meeting offered attendees a broad view of the latest development in FHWA research on modeling, analysis, and simulation as well as simulation testing of Connected and Automatous Vehicle (CAV) applications. The attendees got a glimpse of the upcoming VDOT Traffic Operations and Safety Analysis Manual (TOSAM) 2.0 and the VISSIM User Guide 2.0. A program overview of the Artificial-Intelligence (AI) based Decision Support System (DSS) was presented to support the Northern Virginia Regional Multi-Modal Mobility Program. Other presentations included modeling Automated Vehicles (AVs) driving behavior using Adaptive Cruise Control data by VDOT Research Council and Verizon 5G technology in CAV testing and their involvement in Smart Cities using mobile data and smart lighting sensors.
Below are presentations in PDF format.
- FHWA Updates – Rachel James, FHWA
- TOSAM Updates – Sanhita Lahiri, VDOT
- DSS for Regional Multi Modal Mobility Program in Northern Virginia – Kevin Miller, Kapsch
- VDOT VISSIM User’s Guide and Lessons Learned from Updates – Britton Hammit and Jiaxin Tong, Kimley-Horn
- Car-following Characteristics of Adaptive Cruise Control from Empirical Data – Noah Goodall, Virginia Transportation Research Council
- FHWA Toolbox – Hardware in Loop – Zhitong Huang, Leidos